Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, April 20, 2006

This Blog Is For The Birds

A lot of people don't know that I am a backyard bird watcher. Admirer more so than a watcher, I suppose. All I have to do is fill up some feeders and poof, free entertainment that goes on for months.

Today, I am inviting you all to my backyard blog party. So put on your do-rag or hat so the birds don't crap on your head, and grab yourself a spot on the porch swing. All I have to offer is some sweet tea or coffee, and if that isn't good enough, like I tell my kids, go get a drink out of the hose.

Image hosting by Photobucket

This here is a big pecker. It's one of the many varieties of the redheaded woodpecker family. I like to just call him big pecker. He likes that.

Image hosting by Photobucket

This guy is a wee little pecker, Hoss says they call it a Downy. Google tells me he's right, but I think little pecker suits him.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The bad bird of the backyard is the blue jay. He not only makes all sorts of noise, it is rumored that he has broken into other bird's nests and torn shit up. One source close to the culprit claims he kills innocent little eggs. His favorite thing in the world seems to be plain old peanuts (unsalted of course) but he has a nemesis, Rocky the neighborhood squirrel always pops in for a visit when the nuts come out. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Image hosting by Photobucket

This is a cat bird. All I have to do to get him to show up is put raisins on the railing of the deck. Sometimes the robins fight them for the raisins, which makes for even more entertainment. The cat bird makes a soft chirp that sounds like a kitten meowing. I've been fooled into searching for orphaned kittens a couple of times because of this little bugger. I think I saw him laughing at me the last time I chanted, "Here, kitty, kitty."

Image hosting by Photobucket

Anyone who knows me well is aware that this little dude is my very favorite bird. I took a lot of pictures of nothing before I captured this quick moving hummingbird. There are several hummingbirds that visit the Lane yard every year. They dig sugar water so don't waste your money buying any special hummingbird fluid if you want them visiting your house.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The female oriole isn't as vibrant as her partner but she is a brave bird. One of the few who will take a drink of sugar water while I'm standing inches away.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The male oriole isn't nearly as brave but is way cuter. He sings his stupid head off usually much too early for me. I like to call this one my alarm clock.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Lastly, this is Bob, the kids named him. He's a baby robin that was somehow injured. We made a nest in a shoebox and fed him worm bits until he was strong enough to try out his wings. Right after we set it free, he flew in a circle and landed on the railing of our deck. Guess he didn't really want to leave.

I hope you enjoyed our backyard time together. Have a great day everyone!