Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Dance Like Nobody’s Watching

Mr. Lane makes for a pretty funny drunk. Three sheets to the wind after three bottles of beer over a four-hour span, also makes him a lightweight. What I didn’t know was that he was taking shots with the groom. I should have known something was up when I saw the two dancing together, getting their Brokeback Wedding on. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

He came back to the table where I sat kibitzing with my aunt and uncle in-law (the bride’s parents), to announce that the groom was freeballin’. (You know what that means right? No skivvies.) I guess the groom figured his new bride would be in full control over his balls after that day was over; either that or the 90 degree heat was the cause. At any rate, I really didn’t need my husband sharing that tidbit of information with me or the bride’s folks. In fact, we all could have lived the rest of our lives without knowing that.

After getting snookered and dancing with the groom, my husband asked me to dance. We haven’t danced in years. It was almost awkward. When Deejay Alf played You're Beautiful by James Blunt, my old man dragged me onto the dance floor again and sang loud enough to drown out Alfie. He was so cute. He had trouble keeping his feet in rhythm as he sang. Doing two things at once was never Mr. Lane’s strong suit, add alcohol and fuggetaboutit.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Our baby girl tried to be a wall flower. She didn’t want to dance with anyone, not even her daddy. I unintentionally threw her a guilt trip and said, “There aren’t a lot of chances in life when you can dance with your daddy. I’d give anything to have that chance.”

She later admitted that she was uncomfortable in her strapless dress. She was worried it would fall while she danced, so I took the string and tied it like a halter around the back of her neck. After that, there was no stopping her. She danced with Uncle Owl who spun her like a top, then she asked me to dance, she even grabbed her dad a few times. And then, there was a moment, Uncle Owl and I were cutting a rug and Mr. Lane and Auntie Vie were dancing, Lane 1 and Randi were too. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the picture below. Thankfully Uncle Owl didn’t mind a brief intermission in our dance as I snapped this little gem.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I know one day I will hate the idea of a boy looking so cute at my daughter. For that moment, while her parents were within arms reach, it was all good. However, Mr. Lane did tell the boy to watch his hands, which made Lane 2 blush. Beyond cute!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is Lane 1 dancing with his cousin Randi. It’s too bad he shed his suit because I didn’t get any pictures of my boy dressed up. Randi dragged Lane 1 onto the dance floor for practically every song. He pretended to hate the attention but you can clearly see in his blurry eyes, he had a great time.

As I gear up for Second City and a visit from my nieces and nephew, I’m going to be MIA from Blogland. I should be back in a few days. Have a great weekend everybody!