Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, September 01, 2005

What You Give

You guys are the wonderful ones! Yesterday's post was supposed to get the wheels cranking and look how many of you stepped up. I'm proud to call you my e-friends. I hope all of your efforts are taking shape.

Ideas are beautiful things. My 10-year-old daughter, Lane 2 woke up this morning with one of her own ideas to help. Sleep still clinging to her eyes, hair a wreck, and a smile from ear-to-ear covered her little face. I all but saw a light bulb shining over her head.

"How about we have an end of summer garage sale? All of the money we collect can go to the Red Cross!"

I kissed that sleepy faced child and hugged her tight.

Lane 1, for the first time in years told his sister she was "pretty smart... for a girl." He ruffled her hair as he walked by.

I know I complain a lot about this redneck town I live in. The last couple of days, I've seen something different among my neighbors. Since the beginning of the American Red Cross fundraiser, there is a new sense of community, kindness and generosity. The response from the business community has been overwhelming. Our local Dairy Queen is not only collecting funds but agreed to have a party for the students at St. Peter, Paul and Mary School.

I wish I could do more, adopt a family or two until they are able to go back, something. I know you guys thought what I am doing is nice and I really do appreciate all of your kind words. It really didn't take much and it wasn't anything any of you couldn't do, which really was the meaning behind yesterday's post. All I did was made about 20 phone calls, wrote a letter requesting assistance for the school's efforts, I faxed the letters, wrote a press release and e-mailed it to all of our media outlets. That's it. Five tiny steps. It was those who said, "Yes, we would like to join in on this endeavor," who are making everything fall into place. It's the people who are able to throw in their pocket change who bring it full circle.

My e-friend Seven, had to flee his home in New Orleans. Thankfully, he is safe and on dry land. He doesn't know the condition of his home but suspects, based on the news footage, that his home is waist-deep in water. Some of his family members are still not accounted for. If you would like to give and put a face to your donation, please consider my buddy. He has PayPal set up on his web design business site. You may also consider hiring him for your next blog makeover. He may not be able to get to work for a while, but I'm sure having work waiting for him when he returns, also will help during this crisis.