Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, December 01, 2008

The Open Door

The ratings and reviews are in and Rosie Live is a no go for NBC. That means it's also a door closed for me. Not just my dreams, but Rosie O'Donnell's too. She has talked about wanting to host a variety show for years. I feel so bad for her, but I know, like me, she'll mend, and go on to the next chapter of life.

This morning, I feel pretty good even though the news was disappointing. The stuff I've been writing for the last two months in preparation for the show, honestly, wouldn't have suited the format.

I have been writing as if I were put into a time capsule. Carol Burnettesque and old time Saturday Night Live type skits and characters spilled from my brain. The show was not like what I expected.

Reviewers have been over-the-top harsh. What happened (in my opinion) besides the show landing on the busiest travel day of the year, I think she simply tried too hard.

You all know how long I've been preparing and talking the show up, and because of my holiday plans, I nearly missed it too. I was one of the millions on the road Wednesday. We arrived at my in-laws at 7 on the dot. I felt so incredibly rude, quick hug hello, "where's the remote?"

They seemed to tiptoe around the lack of luster. I let them know it was okay, and I would be too. What I didn't tell them, and a part of me is afraid to tell you...

Fuck it, I keep nothing from my favorite people I've never met, so here goes... I was writing like the wind one day and I got a bug up my butt to send a note to Spike Feresten. (click on his name and it will take you to the show's site. You can watch video of previously aired shows)

He has a show on Fox right after MAD TV. But because MAD TV is in its last season, he will be taking over that time slot.

His humor is a lot like mine, so I thought, why not ask my MySpace pal for a job, and you know what? He said I could send him a submission in June.

When a door closes... I believe this is the window I've been waiting to jump out of for years.

I had two months to prepare for the show that wasn't. I have six months to prepare this time. So what's your take? Did you watch Rosie Live? What did you think if you did? Have you watched TALKSHOW with Spike Feresten? If so, what do you think?

I'll be back in a couple of days to tell you all about Lane 2's birthday and dating??? Oh dear!