Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, March 18, 2005

I'm Hip To The Jive

It's funny how words evolve over time. Lane 1 is 12-years-old and he keeps me updated on all of the cool kid lingidy. He certainly doesn't want his mom to be uncool. At the same time, he hates when I use a hip term in the presence of one of his buddies, or him for that matter.

"What's the dillio, dawg?" Always produces an eye roll from him. Every once in a while, I like to use the hip lingidy in an incorrect manner, just to see a reaction. And let me just say, that is a good time had by all, unless you are my son.

"Hey, crackerjack. You need to crack yo punk dawg azz back to yo chores, fer sizzle, my nizzle, wit da great big afroizza." (mostly my son hates me)

Granted, I don't go around saying, that, or "I need ta git me some of dat H-2-Izzo." rather than saying, "I would like some of your water. May I have a sip?" Okay, maybe I do, but it's just that his reactions to these thug phrases from his white bread mom are too funny.

We really live out in the country and how the inner city thug speak landed here, I don't know. I like to blame it on MTV, BET and all of the other hip to the jive cable TV programming. But I found, the more I axe him questions, and the more hip I git, the less he uses those terms. Which, when you think about it, is a win, win situizzle."