Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Sing, Sing A Song

A couple of weeks ago, I asked you readers if you had any questions for me. I am amazed at how much material that provided this ol' blog. Thanks go out to my two favorite Angies. My sister and my blogging buddy Cooter Ang each sent me a getting to know you survey, which was the inspiration for these segments of ask Lois.

Rajma wants to know what music I listen to, and wonders if it has had an effect on my kids' taste in music. I believe we are all partially a product of our environment.

Growing up I had sisters who were all disco divas and brothers who were rockin' the house.

Mom and Dad always listened to their music, which also grew on me. Last year I finally came out of the closet and admitted to my love of Barry Manilow. Back in the day, Cousin Benny, my sister Ang and I called him Barely Man Enough. I guess we were trying to pretend we hated him. And we did the same with Barbra Big Nose, I mean Streisand.

I also remember when I was in grade school. I would write "Disco sucks!" on my folders. When I got home from school, I would join the dancing queens by singing Donna Summer into the broom. MacArthur Park indeed melted with that stupid cake. Who leaves a cake in the rain anyhow? No matter, I was a singin' fool.

I don't know if I was trying to fit in or if I really enjoyed everything, but as an adult, there isn't a genre of music I don't enjoy in some way. My top picks are rock, classic rock, alternative, country and pop, respectively.

I know my taste in music has effected my kids because they are versatile like me. They know all of the words to every single Journey, Boston, Zeppelin, Rush, Van Morrison, Queen, AC/DC, Dylan, Marley, ect., ect., ect. song made.

They also sing along when I get in my Manilow, Summer, Streisand and Neil Diamond moods.

When I get high-school-retro and break out the 80s tunes, from the Divinals to Dexy's Midnight Runners, to every hair-band on the planet, they also are singing right with me.

My 13-year-old son, Lane 1 always gets pissed off when he catches himself singing something "uncool" that he knows every word to, which is exactly how I used to be while listening to music with my parents. That may be the reason kids are sometimes turning away from mainstream and listening to more of the classics, Rajma. It's that crazy parental peer pressure.