Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, June 29, 2006

My Kind Of Town

Holy shit guys, Chicago is off the hook. In a way, I really miss being “home,” in the country. I think it’s my kids and old man that I really miss most. Of course I miss Chip the Wonder Cat and my porch swing where I blog, sip coffee and watch my backyard birds, but I am digging the shit out of being “back home.”

I was born and raised in Chicago. Being here all week is fun, exciting and timeless in a way. The early days of life are with me as I travel the grid system roads where I learned how to drive, as I smell the Maxwell Street Polish being grilled, as I walk the busy streets and try to not stare in awe at the amazing architecture like a tourist, even though I have seen every single building thousands of times before, as I listen to the melting pot of accents.

It’s not all shits and giggles at Clown College. Sure, I am having a great time but there is a lot of work involved. I have homework every night. There is at least an hour and a half drive back to my mom’s house where I’m staying, which puts me in the car at least three hours every day. It seems I keep running out of awake hours here. There is so much I want to see, do, experience and time just gets in the way. Add deadlines for my freelance work and I am up all night long. Sure I could skip this whole blog thing, but I figure updating everyone at once here is a lot easier than e-mailing all of you who have e-mailed me over the last few days. I can’t thank you enough for all of your well-wishes, birthday greetings and well-being checkups. You guys are great. And yes Hoss and Vicki, I have lunch covered for Aug. 23.

I thought about doing an audio post from my cell phone while in traffic this afternoon and then I realized, I’m not that talented. No way can I drive, drink coffee, speak coherently while trying not to cuss out the prick who just cut me off, again.

The only thing that really sucks about this school stuff is that part of my enrollment fees cover tickets for all of the shows being performed at Second City throughout the week. Unfortunately, the shows begin after 8 p.m. If I had stayed in a nearby hotel rather than at my mom’s, I would be able to take advantage of the sweet deal, but due to the fact that I’m not rich, like I am supposed to be, I can’t afford a downtown hotel stay.

So that’s all I’ve got right now. I should be heading back home Friday night or Saturday morning and I’ll have more time to fill you in on all the latest goings-on.