Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Loss For Words

I’ve been staring at my blinking cursor for an hour. The words just don’t seem to form themselves. In my mind I hear his voice, “Lois, you’ve never been at a loss for words. Get on with the story. And since it’s about me, make it a good one!”

Yesterday my dad lost the fight of his life. The cancer won. His wife, daughters, a couple of his grandchildren, a priest and a hospice nurse surrounded him as he took his last breaths.

The pain of not being able to see him anymore, knows no words. He has always been the person who understood me best and loved me under any and all circumstances. He lived his life to make the people around him happy and was able to leave an everlasting impression, which I feel truly blessed to have seen and felt firsthand.

Over the past few months, I’ve heard a lot of stories about my father. Two things every story had in common, no matter who was telling it was his sense of humor knew no bounds and neither did his love.

When I am feeling a little more like me, I’ll share some of those stories with the readers here, and I promise to make them good ones. Until then, I’m going to take a few days off.