Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, March 04, 2005

LIGHTNING - THUNDER, Look out People, I Had A Brain Storm

After even more kindness landed in my inbox and comments section, following the Workin' For A Livin' segment below, my wheels really got to crankin'. I'm telling you, the hamster was working overtime running the wheel in my head.

The loss of my parent's house sucks no matter how many bright sides I try to find. 1) It will be a smaller place for Mom to maintain. 2) No yard work. 3) Security building. 4) Won't cost as much. 5) Closer to Krispy Kreme. (Okay, so that one is selfish on my part.)

Those are all things to be thankful for but the fact of the matter is, the situation of losing the house is something too many people have to face while facing illness, aging or death.

I am going to try to build a new chapter to the Habitat For Humanity program. Here's a link so you can learn more about what they already do.

I have been a volunteer for this group for several years. Basically what we do is build houses for people who otherwise would not be able to buy one on their own. They have to be able to maintain and pay their own mortgage but we work with corporations and individuals who donate money, supplies and land, all of which are tax-deductible.

So I thought, why not do something for people who already have homes? People who want to save their homes? There are so many elderly people who can't even keep up with the cost of property tax. They may have their homes already bought and paid for but still lose them because of the increasing costs of taxes, which is beyond ridiculous in such a rich country.

I am working out a plan to present to Habitat For Humanity. In the next couple of months and will need a ton of support from people like you. I want to walk into their headquarters and say "How about we try something new, same concept of helping people live the "American dream" but a little different."

I have many details and thoughts to figure out before I can present this so if you have anything you can think to add, I am open for ideas. I hope my thoughts here are not too scattered and you have an idea of what I hope to do.

Thanks again to all of you for your kind words, they mean more than I can express. So many of you offered help in any way I could use it and I would like to call on you guys once this ball gets rolling.

I can't think of a better way to honor my father than to save others from facing what he and my mother have undergone.