Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Lay It On The Line

This place is like my online confessional. I mean, who the hell really needs a priest when they can just get a blog? I've shared with you stories about my cheating, more than once, lying, stealing, child abuse, murder, and arson.

Today won't be different, as I seek yet another sacrament of penance. Forgive me readers for I have sinned.

Again.

It's been one day since my last confession. This time, I lied.

Again.

I swear to blog, I didn't plan it out and there was no malice behind the lie. Many of you readers here at Home Fires are also parents. Those of you who have resorted to creative tactics will quickly forgive and understand what I am about to tell you. Some may think I simply crossed the line and should burn in the fiery pits of hell. However you choose to judge me, please be gentle.

A couple of days ago, I was picking the kids up at St. Peter, Paul and Mary School. I was parked in the back of the lot, watching the entrance, waiting for my kids to emerge among the sea of children. I spotted Lane 2 and I drove trough the loading zone, unlocked the door, and she hopped in as I looked for her brother.

He wasn't out of the building yet. As I drove back to my spot, at the back of the lot to wait for him, Lane 2 started telling me about her day. All seemed normal at that point, until she began telling me what one of her friends told her.

"Mom, Ellie said she saw Lane hugging a girl in the hallway at school today. Some times she lies and I didn't see for myself but I knew you would want to know."

"Hmmm... you're right. I would want to know something like that. Thanks honey. I'll ask him about that."

"Don't tell him I told you Mom. He will be so mad at me."

"Okay baby, I won't."

I saw the boy emerge. He was walking with four girls. I wondered if one of them was The Hugger. Lane 2 spoke up, "There's Lane! Oooh, and there is Hailey with him."

"Is Hailey the girl he was hugging?"

"Yeah."

I swung around to the loading zone, unlocked the door, he hopped in. He was so smiley.

"Good day son?"

"Yeah. It wasn't too bad."

"Got homework?"

"Only one page of math."

"Cool. Hey, I got an e-mail from your principal today." I paused to give him a chance to wonder why.

"About the fund raiser?"

"No."

"About me?"

"Yeah. He didn't seem mad or anything."

"What'd I do?"

"I guess you hugged some girl in the hallway."

"He told on me?"

"Well it wasn't like he was telling."

"Man! That dude stinks."

"He just wanted me to let you know that public displays of affection are inappropriate at school. He really wasn't mad. And neither am I. So don't be upset."

"He's just jealous!"

"Jealous of a 13-year-old kid?"

"Yeah." He shook his head in disgust. Lane 2 peeked out from behind her book. I winked at her in the mirror. She winked back and lipped "Thank you."

"Son, don't be mad at him okay? He is just trying to make sure everyone in the school abides by the rules. He didn't come across angry at all. So anyhow, who's the girl?"

"Dude, you are nosey."

"It's my job. Dude. So?"

"Hailey."

"Oh, she's a cute one. You two danced a lot at the school party Friday night, didn't you?"

"Yeah," he said smiling, looking out of the car window. "I asked her to dance the first one with me. And when it was 'lady's choice' she asked me."

I raised my eyebrows at that boy and said, "I'm going to have to start volunteering to chaperone those parties."

"No way! Really. You don't need to do that Ma. Besides, Hailey's mom was there and never took her eyes off of me."

"Another me?"

"Worse. When she tried to give me a hug and say goodbye, her mom was yelling for her to hurry up. And that's why she hugged me at school today."

"Well, thank for being honest son. And please don't be mad at Mr. Skinner for e-mailing me. But no more hugging at school. Ya dig?"

"Yeah, I dig. And Ma? Please don't be trippin'."

So there it is, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me blog.