Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, March 10, 2006

Message In A Bottle

Before I do anything today, I have to thank a certain someone from New Jersey. I don't know who you are or why you keep coming back for more, but I'm glad you are here.

Lately as I have been swamped, I haven't been able to keep track of my stat meters. The little narcissist within me is a little upset, but I'm sure she'll be fine.

The few times I have checked my stats over the last few weeks, I've noticed a certain place in New Jersey keeps popping up. This person is not just stopping in for a second or two but once, I saw them logged-on for six hours. I told myself this person must have forgotten and left my page up almost all day. When I dug into the stats a little deeper, I saw that this person had read 140 pages in that six-hour span. Amazing.

I know all sites have people who "lurk" (I hate that word) in fact only 10 percent of my visitors comment. But today, I want to take a second to thank those people who are here reading. (commenting or not) Just knowing you are there taking the time to read something I wrote thrills me beyond words. Thanks!




Back to the topic of music, I have to tell you guys about my kids roping me into watching American Idol. I genuinely despise reality TV, although I probably haven't given it a fair chance.

I'll give the TV moguls credit because they sure have been able to tap into viewers' curiosity of how other people live and function in all sorts of situations. They have also managed to put programming out there that isn't costing them a small fortune in cast compensation. In essence, they have found a way to make money and draw in viewers at a time when the economy is crap. Genius.

With that said, American Idol is something I have avoided four seasons in a row. I was really hoping for five, however, I was bulldogged by the kids when they conducted auditions in Chicago. Yes, peer pressure can work both ways.

The show, in my humble opinion, was like sitting in a karaoke bar, only I wasn't boozin' it up. Maybe I should have been and I wouldn't have become addicted to that damn show. Damn that show to hell and back!

The kids and I set up shop sitting side-by-side every time it's on, three times this week. Popcorn and candy, sodas and juice boxes make each show special in our little house. The kids also like that they sometimes are able to stay up late to watch. Plus, Mom giving them candy is just a bonus.

Chris and Katharine are our top picks. Amazing that we all agree. We also believe that the girl will win mostly because she has an amazing voice plus she is a beauty. The guy also has an amazing rocker voice but isn't as easy on the eyes.

Last night I didn't get to watch the show. I volunteered to help set up the book fair and it took much longer than I anticipated. I figured setting up the fair was much better than them convincing me to dress up as Clifford again.

Realizing I wasn't going to make it home in time, I called Mr. Lane and asked him to tape the show for me. He said he didn't know how to do that and put Lane 1 on the phone. I told him where to find the stash of candy, apologized for not being there to watch and wished him sweet dreams.

When I finally made it home, I was starving. I went in the kitchen and at my spot on the table was a note from the kids and my old man.

"Dear Mom, you are not going to believe what happened tonight on idol! First there was the regular waste of time stuff and then that dude from last time came on to sing I think his name is Bo Rice but he is nasty like that Meatloaf dude and is a bad singer."

"Hi Mommy! Lane doesn't know what he is talking about. I won't ruin the show and tell you what happened but WOW OH WOW OH WOW! Bo Bice was the guy singing and Chris is soooooo much better than that guy. Our little Kevin didn't get kicked off so don't worry. But that's the only part I'm telling you okay? I love you! Goodnight, sleep tight. See you in the morning light."

"Have fun watching the show Ma. Love ya. Lane"

"Honey, they are ampped up like two little meth heads. Do you really think the candy was such a good idea? I gotta head out early. Should I wake you for coffee? Night babe, love you."

As bummed as I was about missing our Idol night, I loved their note. I guess I should be thankful I missed out on them acting like meth heads.