Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, March 28, 2008

Reeling In The Years

"I thought you were laying dead in a ditch somewhere!" I know, I know, I'm slacking here. And no, I'm not laying dead anywhere. Trust me, if I do die an untimely death, my family will have a funeral service set up via live feed. Forgive me bloggers for I have sinned. It's been almost two weeks since my last post. Good gravy! Why do I feel so guilty when I don't blog? Speaking of Catholic guilt... happy Easter really late to all of you.

Life has been filled with busy and crazy stuff. Easter was not celebrated at the Lane Estate this year. My sister Angie was going to host the festivities but because she had back surgery and is still in terrible pain, that just didn't work out so well. Please send her some feel good vibes.

The kids are a little old for the traditional coloring and hiding/finding of eggs. So without a family gathering, a big meal and eggs, it was just like any other random Sunday here. Sure, we could have gone to church but our local parishioners frown upon lightning hitting their house of worship. Seriously, some people have no sense of humor.

In their boredom, and in a very Brady way, the kids wanted to switch rooms. Lane 1 wanted to move upstairs and Lane 2 wanted to move downstairs. She has been upstairs since we moved here and he felt like it was his turn to get more space and privacy.

They cleaned their rooms and began moving furniture. Mr. Lane and I offered no help, so when the railing went through the wall as they tried cramming a bed up the stairs, we couldn't exactly be mad. After guilty faces came to us and told us about the holes in the wall, me and my old man looked at each other, shook our heads and said nothing.

The kids stood in shock at our silence. I don't know why but silent parents are scarier than the screaming variety. At least that's what they said. They decided against switching and stayed amazingly quiet for most of the day.

Spring break went pretty well, minus the holes in the wall. Not enough fun, time and or money but that's life. My old man took our boy on the road with him for a couple of days. The girl and I bonded over baking. There was also a houseful of her friends, mixed with a couple of dances at the teen center, makeup, laughter and a pinch of boy talk. (Ewww, gag me with a Ginsu, like totally!)

Lane 2 and I went to a banquet a couple of nights ago for the anti-drug, and alcohol campaign, all part of our volunteer work with the local teen center. My daughter's picture and a quote were in the newspaper, which they bragged about. You all know I love bragging about my kids, but when someone else does it, well I get plain old giddy.

Lane 2's newspaper quote, "If you start using drugs and alcohol, you might as well just kiss your life goodbye, girlfriend! *snap, snap*"

Do you know how funny it was seeing the man announcing that try to show her attitude with the snap, snap included? Picture a 50-plus yr. old man in a suit, otherwise acting a speaking very professionally, and then offering up a neck roll with a snap and another snap. Now that was comedy!

The teen center and my daughter were given an award (plaques) for their positive contributions to their community. It was really nice, and hopefully something she will always remember.

Did I even mention that my in-laws are here? Yes, we were just there but now it's their turn to visit us.

Oh, Bud Buckley has a new CD. I wrote a review and will post that soon, too. I'm trying to twist his arm for a huge contest CD giveaway. So stay tuned for that, it's good stuff!

In the midst of it all, I'm also working on writing more sketch comedy. You remember when I went to The Second City in Chicago, and realized that was my favorite kind of writing? Well, I haven't done nearly enough. My manuscript is making me crazy so in my time off from rewriting that, I'm writing sketches. How I'll ever get a job in that field remains a mystery. But that would be the shit. The dream job. The Crème de la Crème! Someone help me find a foot in a door somewhere. I'm past ready.

What else? Oh, since it is officially spring, even though it snowed yesterday, I also got most of my garden cleared with the kids' help. It was pretty nice out... until the snow started falling. What the effing eff? How the weather can go from sunny and 45 degrees to snowing and 30 degrees in an hour blows my mind. Sounds more like global chilling to me.

Okay, rather than bitching about the weather, I will plug my new peeps. Did you notice a couple of changes in the links? No? Why? Aren't you paying attention??? Okay, here's the deal, I have people linked on the right sidebar. When I am slacking or boring you, go visit them. Today Orny Adams gets a special shout out his blog is one of many new ones. If you would like to be linked, let me know and I'll add you as soon as I can. If I deleted you, it's because I thought you quit blogging. Set me straight if you haven't. Am I missing your link for no good reason? Tell me!

I know I have been a rotten e-friend. I haven't read any blogs in weeks. To be honest, after three years of blogging and reading others' blogs, I've spent way too much time goofing off when I could have been finding that dream job or finishing the books. I'm staying focused now, but as soon as I have some play time, I'll be by your cyber home. Thanks for sticking around, I appreciate all of y'all!